Sunday, February 5, 2012

Thrifting Find This Week


Hubby went to his last day of employment on Tuesday like a kid in a candy store. What a great feeling leaving your job at the height on your career - by your own hand to self-employment with a large contract already in hand. This rarely happens in his industry, in fact his boss was a little shocked. You usually leave on an ambulance stretcher due to stress(one of the major reasons we are changing our lifestyle) or are fired when your performance starts to go down. On the contrary, he had his best year ever. His old life was a suit every day of the week. His new life will mean wearing a suit once in a while, and the rest of time a t-shirt and jeans kind of relaxed life. I insisted on a wardrobe purge (men don't purge well) and we managed to get rid of 40% of his wardrobe in 15 minutes. Afterwards (after a wee bit of pushback) he stated it actually felt good. Before he could change his mind off to the Sally Ann I went. I have difficulty donating to a thrift store without checking out whats inside.

What should I find? This little treasure, 1962 Whitmans childrens version of National Velvet in good condition - the inside is spotless with no writing for 99 cents. This will be stock for my future reselling venture.

Don't you love old childrens books?

Linking up with herlibraryadventures.blogspot.com Flea Market Finds and Apron Thrift Girl's Thrift Share Monday. If you are into thrift stores, bargain hunting or vintage check them out!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful find, great book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Paulette. You have a great blog BTW.

      Delete
  2. Yeah it's hard to drop off and not look inside, great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was better last week, three drop offs and only store I purchased at

      Delete
  3. I do love the old Whitman books! What a score to find National Velvet! I'm so happy to hear of any husband dropping out of the rat race and into working where he wants to work! Best wishes on his new adventure!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words. Great post on the art festival by the way!

      Delete
  4. I love to look through children's books too :) The illustrations are so much more detailed than a lot of books now. As much as I love my Kindle reader I hope that children's books won't disappear. They need to turn pages & look at illustrations I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am a sucker for childrens books and cook books. I haven't got a kindle yet but can see the appeal, but you are definitely right about kids books. The graphics are unbeatable!

      Delete
  5. Yes, I do love old books of any kind. Kids books always bring back such great memories and cookbooks...some jusy make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I used to work in an Antiquarian and used book store. It was a great job!

      Delete