Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Perspective

How ironic my last post was.  I woke up Monday morning to see what happened in Las Vegas.  It just brought our situation into perspective.  The biggest thing for us is that as my stepson is in the Military and eventually wants to be a cop those are both situations that we expect him to be put in dangerous situations.  What we don't expect is for those kind of situations to happen to him while attending a football game in his home town.  Today though, I am just grateful for our family who is all safe and sound and all we have here on the island including friends, our dog Buddy and our business.


Later on Monday I found out that one of our friend's brother and his wife had been at the concert in Las Vegas at the time of the shooting.  They are not hurt and were just frantically trying to get back to Canada and their family.  That is where I got perspective.  I cannot even imagine what they and their family who knew they were at that concert went through.

This weekend is Thanksgiving in Canada.  We are having ours on Sunday as have so much work Monday will be a workday for us.  Mom is coming over and we have also invited two of our friends.  Another thing to be grateful for.

The world is a different place these days...but then again I grew up in the 1980s where murder rates were sky high and people lived like each day was their last during the cold war.  These days are much the same as those, just with more weaponry and more coverage of it due to social media.

My personal view?  Gun control works.  If it didn't the terrorist incident that happened last weekend in Edmonton may have been quite a bit different. Yes, criminals can still get guns if they really want to, but if you take away easy access it is a much different world.  I actually like living in a country where most households don't own a gun of any kind.  If they do it is likely a gun for hunting game, not humans.

Anyway, enough of this.  I will not wallow in "what may have been".

11 comments:

  1. When I first heard of the Las Vegas horror, I thought of your post. Yes the world has gone crazy. I do believe in the 2nd amendment right to bear arms, but no one needs the weapons that can be bought with can be outfitted to hold a magazine. (Our weapon of choice is a Louisville slugger baseball bat)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There certain things in life I have no desire to experince. And I will just leave it at that.
    I'm clueless why Americans are so in love with guns, and I'm an American.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand your fears since I have one in the military and another that is a police officer. (((((HUGS)))))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours, hope you have a lovely day.
    Proud to live in a (largely) gun-free country. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dad had a rifle when I was a kid and he would go hunting for rabbits every Saturday during the winter. I can remember coming home from skating and looking out the back door hoping to see a rabbit or two. They helped to feed our family of seven. However...in those days he would have to reload after each shot. He didn't need a semi-automatic or fully automatic weapon - there wouldn't have been anything left of the rabbit to eat! Semi and fully automatic weapons were not made for hunting or for recreational shooting - they were made for killing as many people as possible in a short period of time. They should NOT be available to anyone - not even police. I know nothing in the States will change. There will be no new gun controls. Mass shootings will continue to happen and people will continue to mourn. Edmonton would have been much worse without the regulations we have here in Canada. That is something to be very thankful for this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the guys hurt is from our little community here in Lake Country. He was shot in the head and started a GO FUND ME page to cover his expenses. He has to be driven back here as he can't fly as he has brain bleed,swelling and fluid in some brain cavities. His eyes are also crossed and blurry. Another victim was in his 4th and final year here at the University. He died.

    Beyond sad and so very senseless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I so agree, gun control is the only answer. However I don't think we will see it in our lifetime. Sad.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The news was horrifying. I agree some type of gun control would be prudent considering what's happening. We do a *lot* of busy outdoor events (at least 3x per week now) and there was actually a shooting at one of the. I was luckily out of the way of the bullets and the crowd that went running for cover, but this hits home for us. :\

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm all for gun control and strongly against easy access to guns as things are in America. It's hard to believe that with all those tragic mass killings - nothing is being done to change the present gun chaos.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I went into a business where a huge sign banning guns was posted. I remarked to an employee entering that this looked like a good place to get killed. The employee pointed out that no guns were allowed, so I was safe. No, that just means if a bad person with a gun comes in, he is secure in the knowledge that he can kill as he pleases since all the good people obeyed the law. Gun control will not work.

    ReplyDelete